Friday, November 13, 2009

Critical

"frankly, critical types, you really aren't winning anything by having high standards. it just means you enjoy less things." - age0limits0are0gay

I saw this comment on a YouTube video. The video itself doesn't matter.

I wasn't sure at first why I was so incensed by the comment. Gradually, I came to realize that it bothered me because it was retarded. This person seems to be arguing that having standards is actually a fault, a defect in one's character. That kind of thinking is just one of those little side-effects of the immaturity most of America has been huffing for the last couple decades.

It disturbs me that this kind of idea can exist unchallenged. And it is unchallenged. It has sat under that video for over a month now, with not a single response.

The thing about being critical is that it's not a choice you make. It's like a gateway drug. As you grow up (and the key really is growing up) you expect better from the media you consume. Or, if you want to be literal, the food you consume. For instance, when I was a kid, Lunchables were awesome. Now, I eat actual food, because it is better. Yes, I could theoretically subsist on those little pre-packaged meals, but I'd rather improvise a cooked meal that not only has actual nutritional value, but will taste better than the kiddie meals by orders of magnitude.

I'd say the same about beverages. I spent several years drinking almost nothing but root beer. When I was home, if I got thirsty, I'd grab a can or two. Later, I got picky. I'd only drink root beer that came from independent bottlers. That's because the name brands are homogenized, watered down for the general public, while the independent bottlers still have to put effort into producing a product people will want to buy again. Barq's, Mug, and A&W all have enough name recognition to keep selling for decades. I only bought once a week, and I didn't mind buying a four-pack of bottled Goose Island rather than a 12-pack of cans of Mug. (Goose Island really is good stuff. If you see it, pick up a pack.)

When you get right down to it, it's about growing as a consumer. Used here, 'consumer' does not mean 'buyer and user of goods,' but rather 'one who consumes.' As you read more and more books, you start to expect characters to have a little more depth. As you watch movies, you begin to expect better acting and writing.

I suppose, when it comes to art, that it's a matter of intelligence. If you watch a high-concept film and don't get it, you won't like it because it makes you feel dumb, and you'll seek out something more on your level. In that context, people liking stupid jokes almost makes sense. That is to say, if you can't handle high-brow, go for low-brow.

Part of the problem is that once you understand why the more sophisticated item is better, you can't really enjoy the old thing anymore. Sure, a box of wine is nice if you don't know any better, but once you've noticed the fruity undertones in an old vintage, you can never go back.

I'm rambling.

Anyway, here's the link to the video. It has no relevance to this, but the comment is probably still there.

No comments: